Tour the Himalayan valleys of ‘Bhutan’
Day 1: Arrive at Paro, transfer (1hrs, 65km, Altitude 2350m)
- Arrive at Paro and transfer to Thimphu.
- Check in and relax if time permits.
- Memorial Stupa, built in a memory of third king a.k.a the father of modern Bhutan.
- Drive to the Giant Buddha Dodenma Statue at Kuensel Phodrang view point.
- Tashichoedzong, the room of the Golden throne at the 17century fortress of ‘Glorious Religion’ where you’ll encounter several monks and policemen at the flag removal ceremony held outside the Dzong
- self-guide walk around the craft bazaar to a place where can be picked up by your transport.
- Overnight at Khang Residency, Namgay Heritage or similar
Day 2 Thimphu – Tango/Chagri (Altitude 2600m, 45min drive)
- Breakfast at hotel
- Drive to weekends market (open 9A-5P on Friday, Saturday & Sunday)
- Arts and Craft School a.k.a Zorig Choesum
- Drive 30mins drive at a base of Tango university
- Prepare yourself for a 45min hike to Tango or Chari
- Afternoon, Hand-made paper
- Lookout for any Archery tournament if going-on at Changlimithang National Stadium.
Overnight at Khan residency, Namgay heritage or similar
Day 3 Thimphu – Gantey( Altitude 3000m, 140km, 5hrs drive)
- Pack your bags and leave it outside your room when you come for breakfast.
- After 1hr drive away from Thimphu, you will arrive at Druk Wangyel Chorten, Dochu la(3140m high pass)
- Royal Botanical Paro at Lam Peri
- Continue drive to Gantey, these wet-lands are home to Black-necked Cranes (Nov-March)
- Visit the crane information center.
- Nature walk around these remote valleys and visit homes of the local family nearby. As a Bhutanese tradition we always feel to do the right by leaving some gifts for the children or to the elderly members of the family as a token of appreciation after leaving the family house.
Overnight at Dewachen, Gakiling or similar.
Day 3 (Gantey 2900m – Trongsa2180m, 4-5hrs)
- Walk along the nature trails for about an hour and half
- Continue drive acros the Black Mountains and the Peli La and further east to Trongsa.
- Chendebji picture stop
- Ta-dzong as museum is one of the best way to summarize and define your entire tour in Bhutan as it sums up your tour historically, culturally and politically.
- Trongsa Dzong, ancestral homeland of the Wangchuck dynasty.
Overnight at Yangkhil, Tashi Ninjay or similar
Day 4 (Trongsa 2180m – Kuenga Rabten- Bumthang2580m, 2hrs)
- A day excursion and your majestic visit to Kuenga Rabten, during the first half of the 20th century, an unusual U-shaped building was the being as the winter residence of the second king, and the palace is surrounded by stone walls that have spy-holes, which were used by the royal guards.
- 15min walk uphill to the Karma Drubdey Nunnery is yet another site one could visit depending on your schedule and the availability of time.
- After lunch continue drive to Bumthang.
- Prakhar Lhakang,
- Yathra weaving center at Zhungney
- Check in and relax
- Self guided walk around the bustling town of Jakar
Overnight at RInchenling guest house, Jakar village lodge or similar
Day 5 (Bumthang cultural tour)
The ‘Castle of the White Bird’ is now being used as the administrative offices for the local govt. but once have been a residence of the local king. The Buddhist College at Tharpaling is another great place to hike but you need to some sacrifices before you making choices. Touring the valley by foot by walking to Jambey lhakang, Kurje Lhakang and over to Tamshing and Koenchogsum lhakang is yet another option one can allow yourself to explore the valley more. You’ll also visit the local community Yathra weaving center which is only found in Bumthang because this style and material is very indigenous locally. Evening visit Kharchu Dratshang for to witness the theological debate being among the monkhood.
Overnight at Rinchenling lodge, Jakar village lodge or similar.
Day6 Jakar – Tang valley and Ugyen choling, 2hrs)
- Tang, one of the most fertile valleys in Bumthang which is famous for treasure revealers discovered treasure as early as some 600yrs ago. Tang UgyenChholing is now been converted into a musuem which used to be one of the summer residence of the Wangchuck dynasty. On your return back stop-over Tang Rimochen and at the ‘Burning Lake’.
Day 7 (Bumthang 2580m – Punakha1250m, 6hrs)
Palace of great happiness is must visit sights as it is believed to be the most beautiful Dzongs in the country. The fertility temple of the divine madman and Kuruthang Goemba.
Overnight at Drubchhu resort, hotel Dhensa or similar
Day 8 (Punkha 1250m – Paro2280m, 4hrs)
Morning hike to Khamsum Yuelly and continue drive further to Paro. Ringpung Dzong, Dungtse lhakang and Paro Kyichu is some of the great sites to be visited.
Overnight at Tashi Namgay, Khangku or similar.
Day 9(Paro Taktshang 3100m approx)
Day hike to ‘Tigers Nest’ and if time permits one can always visit some of the isolated temple of Zantopelri and Ugentsemo which seemed to be hanging down from the sky when you first begin your hike from the base.
Overnight at Tashi Namgay, hotel Drukchen or similar
After breakfast, You will escorted by your guide and the driver 2hrs prior to the flight departure.